configurable naming scheme for assets/shows

Discussions for setting up a job including servers and selecting project structures, and task folders.
chrisg

configurable naming scheme for assets/shows

Post by chrisg »

Is it possible to get some customizable rules on the naming of assets and shows (possibly even projects)? For instance, "This thing ^3294&^$(@#$" is a valid show name, but would violate the rules of our pipe for naming an entity.

Ideally there'd be some sort of site wide config where we could enter a regex for validation. Or am i missing something you've already built in?

cheers,
chrisg
alt.vfx

andrew
Site Admin

Re: configurable naming scheme for assets/shows

Post by andrew »

Hi Chris,

We have some sanity checks in place for items that will trickle down to the file system but nothing exposed in the UI at this time. Implementing your idea of a custom regex that can be set at studio level should be doable. I'll add it to the feature request list.

Cheers,
Andrew

chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Thanks Andrew, that'd be awesome. Anything to stop the producers being too expressive ;)

cheers,
chrisg
alt.vfx

chrisg

Post by chrisg »

I've just discovered that (presumably ) all of unicode characterset is valid. and while i look forward to people naming things like

"30 sec (eggplant emoji) fiesta"
(yeah, i tried this)

i think it'd be handy to be able to restrict it to utf8, if possible.

cheers,
chrisg
alt.vfx

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

HA, first I must thank you for burning the phrase "eggplant emoji fiesta" in my head...

We recently updated our character set to provide better support for Chinese characters, which had the side effect of allowing emojis just about anywhere. I have seen a lot of jobs made with the poop emoji for the description. ;)

I think we can add some tools to help limit people from expressing themselves in unwanted areas. I'll see if we can get those tools included in the next update.

Cheers!
Andrew

chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Andrew,

I've been advised that (in the meantime) name sanitizing can be done through the event_hooks. However, only project and show names are exposed to the API currently. Asset and shot names do not appear to be changeable, even on an offline job (i wouldn't expect online entities to be able to be renamed).

Can you advise on any workarounds to this?

may all your eggplants be festive.

cheers,
chrisg
alt.vfx

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Hi Chris,

That's correct that event hooks would be the best place to add a regex sanitation currently. You bring up a good point though that asset and shot names are locked as the folder structure is name dependent and if a job is online those entities would be brought online immediately. Until we have an alternative solution that is native to NIM, as a work around, we can provide you with a custom call you can integrate into the event hooks. The onShotCreate and onAssetCreate are called before the item is brought online so you can make your changes there as needed. We'll email direct with further details.

Thanks,
Andrew