More folder variables

Discussions related to creating NIM project structures
sowhen

More folder variables

Post by sowhen »

Hi,

I tried to match NIM with my pipeline but it's difficult because our workflow is based on softwares.

In nim, all projects files (assets / shots) are in the same directory. For example, i can have myfile_v01.aep and myfile_v02.nk in the same shots folder
It will be great to have access to more variables in the project structure . For example: <asset_nuke_root> and <asset_ae_root>.

What do you thinks about this idea?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: More folder variables

Post by andrew »

Hi,

I think it's a great suggestion. We actually have studios doing this but in a slightly different way.

The default way we ship is task centric which means tasks have their own folders, so when saving a COMP task for a shot, by default it will create a folder inside the shot like this: <shot_root>/COMP/myFile/myFile_v01.nk

In the ADMIN panel You can change the default tasks to be software centric. Instead of a generic COMP task, you can make a NUKE task and define it's folder as NUKE. This way you can have specific nuke or ae tasks, creating folder groupings by application.

For example: <shot_root>/NUKE/myFIle/myFile_v01.nk

You can even define an extended folder path for each task folder such as: COMP/NUKE
In this example if you created two tasks, one called AE with it's folder set to COMP/AE and another called NUKE with it's folder set to COMP/NUKE your files would be written to the following directories:

AE TASK: <shot_root>/COMP/AE/myFile/myFile_v01.ae
NUKE TASK: <shot_root>/COMP/NUKE/myFile/myFile_v01.nk

Please let me know if this suggestion works for you or if there is still something missing.

Thanks,
Andrew

sowhen

Post by sowhen »

Yes it works with this method, Thanks ! but i need to re/create the tasks for all softwares. I will post a request to be able to save presets for that ! :)

I spotted an other problem with maya structure.
Most of the time, we use the default maya workspace settings.

With a task centric workflow, NIM creates a specific workspace architecture for each types of tasks. For us it's better to have only 1 workspace with subfolders for tasks in maya default scene folder.

I give an example, by default maya's workspace finds the textures in sourceimages.
With multiple workspace, we have to copy the textures between each tasks sourceimages folder.
i know that saving the same maya file will not change the texture absolute path but for me, this method multiply the risk to have textures scattered in a lots of folders.

I see in the nim_maya.py that i can change the default folders paths. i can add a custom default path like nim renders images.

But, Is there an other solution to work with only one maya workspace ?

Thanks !

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

I'm glad the task folders will work for you.

We do separate maya project structures per basename so all versions will live together in the same project and not step on others working files, including any cache's or other overlapping files. I understand the concern with texture files being automatically found in the sourceimages folder. NIM assumes that textures would be elements that are available to all tasks within an asset living in a folder at a higher level than the Maya project. You can still use relative paths for texture resolution.. such as "../../../TEX/myFile.tif"

Unfortunately at this time we do not have an immediate way to have all basenames exist within a single maya project, but I do not see a reason this couldn't be an option that we implement for the Maya connector.

You can definitely change the default folders paths in nim_maya.py. It would probably be good for us to create a custom file that you can edit so that when we push updates to the connectors you won't have to manually update the files again.

-Andrew