persistent "failed to create directory"

Discussions related to creating NIM project structures
arminefsharnejat

persistent "failed to create directory"

Post by arminefsharnejat »

Hello,

We deployed NIM pretty late in our production and had already conformed several dozen TB of footage in a folder structure designed by our VFX supervisor. This is nowhere close to the NIM labs default project structure, unfortunately. I managed to create a structure that closely mimics what we already have, but, as luck would have it, NIM is unable to create directories on the share our footage lives on. Directory creation on other shares works just fine, which leads me to the question: How does the share have to be mounted in order for NIM to be able to do this?

The currently working share is mounted on the mac hosting the VM through SMB with priviliges, according to finder, of drwxrwxr-x. The non-working share is mounted through AFP (tried switching to SMB to no avail) with the same rights of drwxrwxr-x.

Any insights or clues would be much appreciated!

Best,

Armin/Max

andrew
Site Admin

Re: persistent "failed to create directory"

Post by andrew »

Hi,

I know we have tested mounting shares using both NFS and SMB with no issue. We haven't tried AFP, but any mount that can be created as writable on a linux os should be valid. How are you mounting the server? Is it direct through the fstab or are you using VirtualBox and their Shared Folders? I know there was an issue on Virtual Box with an OSX host that made symlinks read only, so if your structure is below a link you may be having an issue. To resolve that you need to run the following command on the OSX host.

First shut down the VM and then at the host command prompt run:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata VM_NAME VBoxInternal2/SharedFoldersEnableSymlinksCreate/SHARE_NAME 1

Example for a share named "PRJ": VBoxManage setextradata NIM VBoxInternal2/SharedFoldersEnableSymlinksCreate/PRJ 1
One side note, NIM uses the default www-data user / nim group when writing folders to the project structure. You can change this user as needed by following the info in this knowledge base article:

http://nim-labs.com/run-apache-alternate-user/

Let me know if info helps point you in the right direction.

Thanks,
Andrew