Flame: Publish ignores timewarp

Discussions related to all NIM connectors.
ChrisKastenNHB

Flame: Publish ignores timewarp

Post by ChrisKastenNHB »

I have a clip, which is 81 frames (includes handles) in duration and has a timewarp of 200%.
When I'm exporting this clip with the default "NIM Export Sequence - DPX", only 40 Frames are being exported.
Which is way too short.

Same occurs to our custom presets, which has a handles setting for 200 frames.

My workaround is now to delete all timewarp effects in my timeline (about 100+ shots) and export them again.

Is this the intended behaviour?

Regards,
Chris
CHRIS KASTEN
flame artist
-----------
nhb video GmbH
GERMANY

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Flame: Publish ignores timewarp

Post by andrew »

Hi Chris,

The NIM Flame export doesn't actually determine how the clips are exported. They actually just use a Flame export preset so it may be an issue with how the preset is configured? Can you try doing a normal Flame export and see if you can achieve what you are looking for? If so you should be able to update the existing presets with the parameters you need to properly interpret the timewarp.

Thanks,
Andrew

ChrisKastenNHB

Post by ChrisKastenNHB »

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your answer.

But I already checked that before.
Simple shot publish with one of the flame default presets works like expected.

Relevant settings are:

Media: Use Original Media
Tracks and Transitions: Keep All Tracks
Include Handles: Yes / 200 frames

With this, Flame exports the original media and removes all effects applied to that clip.
After removing the timewarp effect, Flame expands the media to match IN and OUT of the clip and then adds up to 200 frames handles. Less, if the clip is commited to fewer handles.

This exact same preset was used to generate our custom NIM Publish Sequence Presets.
But via NIM Connector Flame is behaving differently and seems to cut the handles before removing the timewarp. Even ignoring the value '200'.
So does the default NIM Preset for DPX, which has 10 frames handles embedded.

Inside the XML of our custom preset it is like this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<preset version="7">
	<type>sequence</type>
	<comment>Publish sequence to NIM as Original Media 16bit OpenEXR including 50 frame handles, keeping all tracks, and no Audio using the job&apos;s seleted project structure.</comment>
	<sequence>
		<fileType>None</fileType>
		<namePattern></namePattern>
		<includeVideo>True</includeVideo>
		<exportVideo>True</exportVideo>
		<videoMedia>
			<mediaFileType>image</mediaFileType>
			<commit>Original</commit>
			<flatten>NoChange</flatten>
			<exportHandles>True</exportHandles>
			<nbHandles>200</nbHandles>
		</videoMedia>
		<includeAudio>True</includeAudio>
		<exportAudio>False</exportAudio>
		<audioMedia>
			<mediaFileType>audio</mediaFileType>
			<commit>Original</commit>
			<flatten>NoChange</flatten>
			<exportHandles>True</exportHandles>
			<nbHandles>50</nbHandles>
		</audioMedia>
	</sequence>
	<video>
		<fileType>OpenEXR</fileType>
		<codec>596088</codec>
		<codecProfile></codecProfile>
		<namePattern>&lt;nim_shot_plates&gt;/&lt;segment name&gt;_&lt;shot name&gt;_&lt;version name&gt;/&lt;segment name&gt;_&lt;shot name&gt;_&lt;version name&gt;.</namePattern>
		<compressionQuality>100</compressionQuality>
		<transferCharacteristic>2</transferCharacteristic>
		<publishLinked>0</publishLinked>
		<resize>
		<resizeType>fit</resizeType>
		<resizeFilter>lanczos</resizeFilter>
		<width>0</width>
		<height>0</height>
		<bitsPerChannel>16</bitsPerChannel>
		<numChannels>3</numChannels>
		<floatingPoint>1</floatingPoint>
		<bigEndian>0</bigEndian>
		<pixelRatio>1.000000</pixelRatio>
		<scanFormat>P</scanFormat>
		</resize>
	</video>
	<name>
		<framePadding>8</framePadding>
		<startFrame>1</startFrame>
		<useTimecode>1</useTimecode>
	</name>
	<createOpenClip>
		<namePattern>&lt;nim_shot_root&gt;/FLAME/sources/&lt;segment name&gt;</namePattern>
		<version>
			<index>0</index>
			<padding>2</padding>
			<name>v&lt;version&gt;</name>
		</version>
		<batchSetup>
			<namePattern>&lt;nim_shot_root&gt;/FLAME/batch/&lt;shot name&gt;_COMP_&lt;version name&gt;</namePattern>
			<exportNamePattern>&lt;nim_shot_comp&gt;/FLAME/&lt;shot name&gt;_COMP</exportNamePattern>
			<outputPathPattern>&lt;nim_shot_comp&gt;/&lt;shot name&gt;_COMP_&lt;version name&gt;/&lt;shot name&gt;_COMP_&lt;version name&gt;.</outputPathPattern>
			<batchGroup>False</batchGroup>
			<keepClipNodes>False</keepClipNodes>
			<batchGroupPath>/Desktop</batchGroupPath>
		</batchSetup>
	</createOpenClip>
	<reImport>
		<namePattern></namePattern>
	</reImport>
</preset>
Best Regards,
Chris
CHRIS KASTEN
flame artist
-----------
nhb video GmbH
GERMANY

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Hi Chris,

Can you send me the working export preset so I can compare to the NIM default presets? The NIM connector just logs data returned from the export, but has no direct control over the export so anything that's working in Flame export should be possible.

Thanks,
Andrew

ChrisKastenNHB

Post by ChrisKastenNHB »

Hi Andrew,

following XML is right out of Flame and behaves as expected.
Only difference is, that in this case, the handles are limited to 50 frames.

Thanks,
Chris

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<preset version="9"><type>sequence</type><comment>
The generated media is 16-bit OpenEXR and no audio.</comment><sequence><fileType>NONE</fileType><namePattern></namePattern><includeVideo>True</includeVideo><exportVideo>True</exportVideo><videoMedia><mediaFileType>image</mediaFileType><commit>Original</commit><flatten>NoChange</flatten><exportHandles>True</exportHandles><nbHandles>50</nbHandles></videoMedia><includeAudio>True</includeAudio><exportAudio>False</exportAudio><audioMedia><mediaFileType>audio</mediaFileType><commit>Original</commit><flatten>NoChange</flatten><exportHandles>True</exportHandles><nbHandles>10</nbHandles></audioMedia></sequence><video><fileType>OpenEXR</fileType><codec>596088</codec><codecProfile></codecProfile><namePattern>&lt;nim_shot_plates&gt;/&lt;segment name&gt;_&lt;shot name&gt;_&lt;version name&gt;/&lt;segment name&gt;_&lt;shot name&gt;_&lt;version name&gt;</namePattern><compressionQuality>50</compressionQuality><transferCharacteristic>2</transferCharacteristic><colorimetricSpecification>4</colorimetricSpecification><publishLinkedCriteria>7</publishLinkedCriteria><overwriteWithVersions>False</overwriteWithVersions><resize><resizeType>fit</resizeType><resizeFilter>lanczos</resizeFilter><width>0</width><height>0</height><bitsPerChannel>16</bitsPerChannel><numChannels>3</numChannels><floatingPoint>True</floatingPoint><bigEndian>False</bigEndian><pixelRatio>1</pixelRatio><scanFormat>P</scanFormat></resize></video><name><framePadding>8</framePadding><startFrame>1</startFrame><frameIndex>1</frameIndex></name></preset>
CHRIS KASTEN
flame artist
-----------
nhb video GmbH
GERMANY

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Hi Chris,

I noticed a couple of differences in the parameters in your XML vs the default NIM DPX preset. What version of Flame are you on?

Thanks,
Andrew

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Hi Chris,

I was able to do some testing today and using the default presets with the NIM Connector, Flame did export un-timewarped frames with full handles. Here was the process I used and let me know if I missed something.

I created a 100 frame image sequence with frame numbers burned in.

Imported the frames into flame and put the clip on a timeline.

Added a 200% timewarp so on the timeline the burn-in displays 1,3,5,7,etc and trimmed the length of the clip to 25 frames.

I copied the "NIM Export Sequence - DPX" preset and modified the nbHandles, lines 15 & 24 to be 50.

I choose NIM Publish Sequence and exported with the new preset.

Flame exported 100 frames... un-timewarped 25 frames --> 50 frames + 50 frames handles on the tail, logging into NIM a 100 frame sequence, and the frames have the correct burn in of 1,2,3,4,etc...

In Flame, the export created a new published sequence that retained the applied 200% timewarp at a 25 frame length.

I did notice a difference in the preset version between the sample you provided and our default presets. The default NIM presets are using version 7 and the one you provided is preset version 9. Unfortunately I can't test preset version 9 at the moment with the version of Flame I am using however try this modified version 9 and see if it works for you. It's a splice of what you provided and the batch settings required for NIM. Additionally I modified the nbHandles for both video and audio to be 50. In your example audio was set to 10 and I wonder if that was causing an issue.

Thanks,
Andrew
nhb_flame_preset_batch.xml.zip
(1.43 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

ChrisKastenNHB

Post by ChrisKastenNHB »

Hi Andrew,

thank you. Will test it, when I have some time. I'm in the middle of approvals right now, so please excuse my late response.

We're working with Flame 2019.2.1 on linux and mac, but we did't write the XML from scratch after an update.

Chris
CHRIS KASTEN
flame artist
-----------
nhb video GmbH
GERMANY

ChrisKastenNHB

Post by ChrisKastenNHB »

Hi Andrew,

long time no thread :D

I'm about to have time to test new XMLs.
Before that, one more question:
Is there a way to change the export from 'foreground export' to 'background export'?
Is this something, which could be controlled with the export preset XML?

Thanks in advance

Chris
CHRIS KASTEN
flame artist
-----------
nhb video GmbH
GERMANY

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

:D

Hey Chris,

Unfortunately the background export was unreliable when we were testing as Flame wasn't always returning responses when we needed them. To be honest, we haven't tested backgrounding since 2019 was released so we could take a look at it again. Theoretically it should be as simple as changing a flag if it works, but we'll have to test.

Cheers,
Andrew