actualization: how are ressources calculated in actuals

Discussions related to the financial sections of NIM including Bidding, Expenses, Actualization, Invoices, & Studio Financials.
quang.tran

actualization: how are ressources calculated in actuals

Post by quang.tran »

We got some feedback from sound producing. Unlike picture, their costs are mainly made up by two parts: studio costs and artist hours. Actually the job actuals just refer to the hard of the employee. As far as we can see, there is no link to the ressources used.
Ideally a time report should also involve hardware / studio costs on certain positions, as the same artist can also do prep work with ear phones for example on a far simpler setup. I think it would be smart, to add ressource costs to the bid items, so in case an artist reports two hours of studio time, NIM would automatically calculate hard costs for the artist AND the studio.

Kyle

Re: actualization: how are ressources calculated in actuals

Post by Kyle »

We are actually in the process of an overhaul of the bidding section, and we're planning to connect bids more closely to a lot of other sections within NIM. We discussed your suggestion a bit, and one solution we came up with is adding an association between resources and bid items. Once that association is created, when resources are booked, you could have the option to add the appropriate bid items to your bid or create a new bid with the appropriate starting items.

-Kyle

quang.tran

Post by quang.tran »

Cool. But our suggestion was more about time reports: the same artist can do work in a studio setup for 2K / day with clients or on his MacBook. Time report doesn't reflect the first case, so internal costs may be inappropriate, as it just takes the internal costs for the artist.

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Gotcha. I think the suggestion I made here applies to this as well: http://support.nim-labs.com/viewtopic.p ... p=437#p437

For now, you can create a separate user that represents the "studio" resource and assign it timecards based on the studio time used. This will at least allow you to see your internal costs more clearly using your current version of NIM. Your suggestion for associating resource costs with bid items is interesting and we are considering that for future updates.

Thanks,

-Kyle

quang.tran

Post by quang.tran »

Ok. But I think that doesn't work for us, as we would block a lot of user licenses and artists need to log in into different account just for reporting.
This case doesn't just apply to sound studios, but also for example for Flames, Grading, etc. Billing wise and for internal costs it's a huge difference, whether an artist works on a expensive systems setup with a room or desktop based. We somehow need to reflect that into time reporting and job actuals.

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

If you use this workaround, the user accounts that represent the studios, flames, grading, etc. wouldn't need to ever log in (and so they wouldn't need to use up a license). Ideally, the producer on the relevant jobs would create timecards for these "users" from the Studio Timecards or Job Timecards sections. (You could also open these permissions up for the artists themselves if you're comfortable with that.)

quang.tran

Post by quang.tran »

Got it. But I think that's quite a big workaround, as artists would need to report their times on the normal time report, then go in into timecards and a whole new interface to report the same amount of hours on the machine.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Hi,

I've been following the thread and I understand your point of view. The issue we currently have is that resources themselves do not have a mechanism to include hourly rates, so adding a stand-in user would be the only workaround at this time. We are going to take a look at how resources can actualized.

I believe the solution may be to add rates to resources, and treat them the same as crew, with rate types, overtime, etc per job. However these resources still need timecards. To remove the need to enter separate timecards for resources, an individual entering a timecard could add multiple resources to their timecard. We can then actualize the time on the resource the same way we actualize the time for the user. Does this sound like it would work for you?

By not having someone dedicated to entering time for a resource separately, I feel there would be a need for conflict resolution if two people selected the same resource during the same time period. If in time-in/time-out mode, it could be set so the resource could never be used by two people at the same time. If in hours only mode there's no real way to check that the resource usage on a single day isn't overlapping, so the check would need to be for total hours used in a 24hr period and flag any usage above a daily threshold. If you need multiple people using the same resource during the same time period, we would have to determine what the distribution of expense is. For example if two people are in the same room for the day and add that room as a resource on their timecard, is the expense distributed 50%/50% between the two overlapping timecards?

These are just some things to think about as we look for a workflow that works for you. Are these questions posed above viable scenarios?

Thanks,
Andrew

quang.tran

Post by quang.tran »

I think it should be linked to the schedule. In our case the coordination of rooms and resources are made via the schedule. It's similar to Farmer's Wife. You link artist, machine and room bookings there, which can be time reported as a whole by the artist. The downside with Farmer's Wife is, that you can't do time reports without a booking, which results in a lot of overhead to first get the bookings right, then to time report, which usually takes 2 persons (producer and artist). So artists couldn't easily jump on a project of an artist nearby, without asking for a booking.

We want to avoid this with NIM.

I think a smart way is a lookup, whether an artist is associated with a resource the given date. Then NIM should default add the resource to the time report. As an initial step it would also be smart to link the reported resource hours to the artist hours, so you just need to enter one amount, if you worked all time in that room / with that resource.

Or you can link rates to the task types. That would be far easier. It's like Flame 10 hours is a different rate than Nuke Compositing 10 hours. Or in our example with sound, an artist would report 10 hours "stereo studio", which adds x amount of money onto the rate.

In the last case it would also be useful to see a planned number of hours on resources from the bid vs. current reported hours (for example "stereo studio" or "Flame") on the top page job actuals overview, as this is important for our producers to give budget alerts to the clients.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Thanks for this insight. There is a lot of good info in there that we're going to digest.

Pulling the link between user and resource from the schedule is a good starting point, but agree, should never be required. The way we were thinking about it is that the user and their resources are all linked to the same timecard so only a single point of entry and value.

We understand the ask and as we approach a timeframe where we can make some of the changes we'll definitely share our progress.

Thank you...
Andrew